As much as we love watching Netflix shows, they don’t last forever. These days more than ever, we’re faced with the brutal reality that a fair amount of the streamer’s shows will be canceled after one, two, or three seasons. However, not every show is canceled (despite how it seems).
Netflix has been known to give shows like Bridgerton, Emily in Paris, Virgin River, Ginny & Georgia, and more multi-season renewals that ensure our favorite shows will be sticking around past their latest cliffhangers. Going into 2024 and beyond, we’re keeping our fingers crossed that our favorite shows make the cut.
We’re sharing the complete list of Netflix original shows that have been renewed and canceled throughout 2023, updated with the latest news from Netflix.
What Netflix shows are canceled and renewed?
There are a number of show still awaiting word from Netflix on their fate beyond their latest seasons, including the likes of Shadow and Bone, Survival of the Thickest, Glamorous, Neon, Unstable, The Upshaws, and others. More titles will be added to this list as additional shows learn their fates in 2023.
Unfortunately, the multilingual German mystery sci-fi series 1899 was the first Netflix cancellation in 2023. The news dropped on Jan. 2 with the series creator’s announcement of the shocking cancellation after only one season, which had been released almost two months prior.
Not long after the announcement of 1899′s cancellation, on Jan. 6, Netflix finally revealed Wednesday season 2 is officially on the way! More renewals arrived soon after, with That ’90s Show, Break Point, Full Swing, and Class each getting picked up for second seasons.
On March 24, just a few weeks after You season 4 wrapped its two-part run, Netflix revealed the fate of the series. Although some might believe the series didn’t need to continue beyond season 4, a fifth and final season is in fact on the way for release in 2024.
Spring continued to be a fruitful season for Netflix, as the streamer found massive success with two of its newest additions. The Night Agent premiered on March 23 and immediately became a worldwide phenomenon. The series now ranks in the top 10 most popular English-language Netflix series of all time and was renewed for a second season six days after release.
One month after The Night Agent’s premiere, Keri Russell returned to television in the political drama The Diplomat. The series, while not as massive of a viewership hit as its predecessor, reached the peak of the top 10 and has been a fan-favorite. Less than a month after its April 20 bow, Netflix also renewed the series for a second season.
In the summer of 2023, the Writers Guild of America and SAG-AFTRA both went on strike in order to secure new, fair deals to pay writers and actors what they deserve amid the industry’s changing shape. Both parties were also fighting back against concerns about artificial intelligence. During this time of the dual Hollywood labor strikes, many shows were delayed and put on pause, and some streamers and networks made tough cancellation decisions.
Thankfully, the strikes didn’t cause the cancellations of our favorite shows on Netflix, with the streamer renewing the likes of One Piece, Castlevania: Nocturne, Sweet Magnolias, The Lincoln Lawyer, and Alice in Borderland for additional seasons. While the actors’ strike continues into November 2023, the writers’ strike has concluded and many writers are back to work.
Renewed Netflix shows 2023
- Renewed: Wednesday season 2
- Renewed: Too Hot to Handle season 5
- Renewed: Mo season 2 (final season)
- Renewed: Selling The OC season 2 and 3
- Renewed: Cobra Kai season 6 (final season)
- Renewed: The Recruit season 2
- Renewed: Somebody Feed Phil season 7
- Renewed: Wrong Side of the Tracks season 3 and 4
- Renewed: That ’90s Show season 2
- Renewed: Class season 2
- Renewed: Break Point season 2
- Renewed: Full Swing season 2
- Renewed: You season 5 (final season)
- Renewed: The Night Agent season 2
- Renewed: The Snow Girl season 2
- Renewed: Buying Beverly Hills season 2
- Renewed: Perfect Match season 2
- Renewed: Big Mouth season 8 (final season)
- Renewed: The Diplomat season 2
- Renewed: Sweet Tooth season 3 (final season)
- Renewed: Outlast season 2
- Renewed: Ginny & Georgia season 3 and 4
- Renewed: Virgin River season 6
- Renewed: Fake Profile season 2
- Renewed: Physical 100 season 2
- Renewed: XO, Kitty season 2
- Renewed: FUBAR season 2
- Renewed: Back to 15 season 3
- Renewed: Quarterback season 2
- Renewed: Elite season 8 (final season)
- Renewed: King of Collectibles: The Goldin Touch season 2
- Renewed: The Lincoln Lawyer season 3
- Renewed: One Piece season 2
- Renewed: Alice in Borderland season 3
- Renewed: Castlevania: Nocturne season 2
- Renewed: Sweet Magnolias season 4
- Renewed: The Circle season 6 and 7
- Renewed: Queer Eye season 9
- Renewed: Unstable season 2
- Renewed: Black Mirror season 7
Canceled Netflix shows 2023
- Canceled: 1899
- Canceled: Inside Job
- Canceled: Dead End: Paranormal Park
- Canceled: The Chair
- Canceled: Uncoupled
- Canceled: Hot Skull
- Canceled: Sex/Life
- Canceled: Freeridge
- Canceled: Bling Empire
- Canceled: Bling Empire: New York
- Canceled: Lockwood & Co.
- Canceled: Snowflake Mountain
- Canceled: Welcome to Eden
- Canceled: Hard Cell
- Canceled: Sky High: The Series
- Canceled: In Love All Over Again
- Canceled: Man Vs Bee
- Canceled: Rebelde
- Canceled: Ridley Jones
- Canceled: Juvenile Justice
- Canceled: Wellmania
- Canceled: Shadow and Bone
- Canceled: Agent Elvis
- Canceled: Glamorous
- Canceled: Farzar
- Canceled: Captain Fall
Netflix shows ending in 2023
- Firefly Lane (ended with season 2 part 2)
- Manifest (ended with season 4 part 2)
- Never Have I Ever (ended with season 4)
- The Crown (ending with season 6)
- Top Boy (ended with season 3)
- Human Resources (ended with season 2)
- Sex Education (ended with season 4)
- Disenchantment (ended with part 5)
For all of the shows that were renewed or canceled last year, check the list here. We’ll let you know more Netflix shows canceled and renewed in 2023 as Netflix announces them.