On the heels of The Crown coming to an end, Netflix is shifting gears to a more contemporary tale about the British Royal Family, particularly the infamous interview Prince Andrew gave during his BBC Newsnight appearance in 2019, conducted by journalist Emily Maitlis.
The Netflix Original film Scoop is inspired by the very real events, centering specifically on this interview which has been publicly lambasted as a car crash. Not long after the interview aired, Prince Andrew stepped down from his royal duties.
Directed by Philip Martin, the movie is based on a memoir by Sam McAlister. Scoops: Behind The Scenes of the BBC’s Most Shocking Interviews, talks about the behind the scenes details before a bombshell interview with Prince Andrew was broadcast. Scoop will premiere on Netflix on Friday, April 5, 2024.
Here's the official teaser:
What is Scoop about?
Prince Andrew is Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s third child. In 2019, Newsnight reporter Emily Matlis interviewed the royal. Newsnight is a program part of the United Kingdom’s BBC Two that provides deep investigation and analysis of stories.
This was a big deal because Prince Andrew’s association with American financier and sex offender Jeffrey Epstein lead to him being banned from appearing at public events, stripped from many patronages, and was no longer allowed to use “His Royal Highness” title, according to Variety.
Scoop focuses on the behind-the-scenes story of Emily Maitlis, who will be played by Gillian Anderson. It was Maitlis who helped negotiate the public interview with the Buckingham Palace.
Here's the official synopsis from Netflix:
"Inspired by real events, SCOOP is the inside account of the tenacious journalism that landed an earth shattering interview - Prince Andrew's (played by Rufus Sewell) infamous BBC Newsnight appearance. From the tension of producer Sam McAlister’s (played by Billie Piper) high stakes negotiations with Buckingham Palace, all the way to Emily Maitlis’ (played by Gillian Anderson) jaw dropping, forensic showdown with the Prince, SCOOP takes us inside the story, with the women who would stop at nothing to get it."
Gillian Anderson is no stranger to the stories about the British Royal Family. The actress played Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in Netflix’s The Crown, who was the first woman to hold that position in government. Now in the upcoming movie, she’s going to play another key role. Check out the full cast list below:
- Gillian Anderson as Emily Matlis, the journalist and presenter who conducted the interview with Prince Andrew
- Rufus Sewell as Prince Andrew
- Keeley Hawes as Amanda Thirsk, the prince’s private secretary.
- Billie Piper as Sam McAlister, the one who got the interview booked. She is also the author of the memoir the film is based on.
- Amanda Redman as Sam's mother
- Connor Swindells as Jae Donnelly, the photographer who took the picture of Prince Andrew and Jeffrey Epstein walking together in Central Park
- Romola Garai as Esme Wren, the editor of Newsnight at the time
- Charity Wakefield as Princess Beatrice, Prince Andrew's daughter
- Lia Williams as Fran Unsworth, BBC's former director of news
Stay tuned to Netflix Life as we bring you all the updates and news about Scoop starring Gillian Anderson, premiering on April 5.